Persona 3 How do you feel about evokers?

Discussion in 'Spin-offs & Old School Persona' started by Cemmos, Jan 20, 2015.
  1. Cemmos

Cemmos Administrator Team Member

I've seen stuff around the internet (particularly years ago while the game was still fresh) where people absolutely tear Persona 3 apart for the usage of evokers.

For those of you that may not have played the game, the evoker looks just like a pistol and is used to summon persona. Of course, not all evokers are shaped like pistols, but that's specifically what we're talking about here.

What are your thoughts when it comes to the imagery of someone taking what looks like a gun and pointing it at their head?

2. Avatar

Advertisement Supporting Megami Fuse

This is an advertisement. It helps keep the lights on here at Megami Fuse.
    "Every day's great at your Junes!"

3. Ridge

Ridge Member

It's a game, and they are magical guns that summon magical monsters. People need to not take these things so seriously.

Cemmos likes this.
  4. gregiorp

gregiorp Member

The in game reason makes sense I still think its kind of silly though. They should have made it so an envoker is used at first to "unlock" their power then they can just summon without it after. After you've shot your self in the head after 500 battles it gets a little old.

5. Pug-ster

Pug-ster Member

It was pretty symbolic to me. The game always says that a persona is a facet of your inner psyche, so to me the evoker was something of "Kill the outer you, and let the real you out" I don't understand why everything must be made into such an awful thing whenever mass media comes into play. It's a game, people should deal with it or at least try to understand the concept a little bit more.

6. KroganCharr

KroganCharr Member

I don't know. I don't have any issues with it, that much is for certain- it's just a game. I can't say I fully grasped the reason why they did this yet, though. I've seen enough of this game to know that it was certainly not some random provocation, but I'm not sure I fully understand the meaning.

7. Cemmos

Cemmos Administrator Team Member

I kind of like the way it's explained on the Megami Tensei Wikia page, particularly the part I put in bold. It really falls in line with the theme of Persona 3.

KroganCharr likes this.
  8. Carryduffp

Carryduffp Moderator Team Member

I always thought the symbolism of the evokers was to do with fear - being the theme of the game and all. Most of the Persona 3 cast needed an evoker to summon their Persona, I thought they could only summon a Persona when they were afraid. The evoker looking like a gun would make the user feel like they are about to die, and that allowed them to summon their Persona since death is what humans fear the most.

I get why people think the image is disturbing (teenagers shooting themselves and all) but I was never really affected by it. The animation looked pretty cool, but I don't want evokers to return in Persona 5 (like people on the internet seem to want). The evokers were special for the themes of Persona 3 - unless Persona 5 is suddenly about fear and death I think their inclusion would be meaningless.

Cemmos likes this.
  9. KroganCharr

KroganCharr Member

Thanks @Cemmos . Yeah, Memento Mori is a very present theme in the story, starting with the coffins in the Dark Hour and obvious when Stega comes up. I still find it a little odd. Shooting yourself in the head is not just accepting that you will die one day, it's outright suicide. I associate it more with giving up on life rather than accepting death.

Cemmos likes this.
  10. Jakkufurosuto

Jakkufurosuto Member

It looks cool and never get tired of the sound effect.

After that I really don't care about any of the symbolic stuff.

Cemmos likes this.
  11. ProNine

ProNine Member

As a game, I'll find it very normal. The real question is: how will the people in the game feel seeing someone about to shoot himself in the head?