Shin Megami Tensei Have you tried Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine the MMORPG?

Discussion in 'Shin Megami Tensei Series' started by kaiserflame, Apr 1, 2016.
  1. kaiserflame

kaiserflame Member

I know it's already down ever since Aeria games stopped hosting it but did anyone else here try it? What did you guys think of it? It was a bit of a niche game and I joined midway to the SMT: Imagine party.

2. Avatar

Advertisement Supporting Megami Fuse

This is an advertisement. It helps keep the lights on here at Megami Fuse.
    "Every day's great at your Junes!"

3. SashaBraus

SashaBraus Moderator Team Member

I watched videos of it and heard some OST, but I've never played the game myself.

4. kaiserflame

kaiserflame Member

Well it as pretty close to the Shin Megami Tensei feel in terms of getting demons and having that technologically controlled, post-apocalyptic future but it was a bit of a grind at times. They had the system where your decisions decided your alignment as well as the demons you could and couldn't summon.

I played it for about a year and a half and thoroughly enjoyed it until I realized I didn't know what I was doing come PvP. Is there any chance anyone here is willing to give it a shot if it ever came back or a sequel was made?

5. bahamut920

bahamut920 Member

I've played Imagine. I haven't done all the instances, but I beat the "main plot", so to speak, and really, all that was left was grinding for like two or three super-high-level post-game instances, IIRC.

As for the grinding, it was an MMO. I don't think I've ever seen one without grinding. The main plot dungeons were relatively grind-free, from what I remember, but the post-plot dungeons were like 30 levels higher than you ended the main plot at, and there wasn't much to do in between except grind dungeons you've already done for umpteen bazillion hours. And the little bit of PVP I played was an absolute mess, and clearly a tacked-on afterthought, from what I remember.

I'd totally be up for playing either it or a sequel, provided they actually get an Atlus-quality localization. I'm still not sure about some of the plot points in the game, because Aeria gave it a early-90's Capcom quality localization, although fortunately I don't think any of the prompts were actually switched.

Cemmos likes this.
  6. StarryPS

StarryPS Member

I haven't heard much about it before this, but, after looking it up, it seems interesting! If there was a revival, I would play it.

Could you imagine a demon negotiation debate, where you have to convince a demon that you're the best out of a group of people? Or an actual auction, like the ones in Devil Survivor and the like?

7. bahamut920

bahamut920 Member

Heh. Negotiation didn't work like that in Imagine. In fact, if you were trying to get a specific demon, it was frequently a good idea to bring a party with you so that they could all "stunlock" the demon with negotiation skills (which caused the demon to enter its hitstun animation without dealing damage) to help keep it passive for the process. And thus was the term "gang-negotiate" born... :P

8. Clicheanimenativeamerican

Clicheanimenativeamerican Moderator Team Member

@bahamut920 why do you come on everyday, but don't post? Anyway, I watched videos, but never played it

9. bahamut920

bahamut920 Member

@Clicheanimesensei I check the boards once or twice a day, but since most of the activity is in the spam thread, I'm about 1,000 posts behind every time I check. There's no way I'm wading through all that to find one or two posts I'd actually want to respond to. Besides, even on more active forums, I tend to lurk a lot and post infrequently.

Clicheanimesensei likes this.
  10. Clicheanimenativeamerican

Clicheanimenativeamerican Moderator Team Member

Then make new topics man who makes me feel young

11. yuuki

yuuki Member

some people are actually working on an emulator for it.